Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chocolate Cake Supreme

I grew up calling this cake Lorna Burchall cake and have learned that it is the same as Texas Sheet Cake - but I've never made that. This is made in a 9x13 pan. Read through the entire recipe before starting into it - there are some ingredients that show up at the end that aren't in list form.

In pan on stove, bring to boil:
1 cup water
2 cubes butter
6 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

In mixing bowl, pour:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all of the above together thoroughly. Pour into greased and floured cake pan (9x10 inches) Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400.

Icing - while cake is baking, melt together:
1 cube butter
6 tbsp milk
6 tbsp cocoa

Five minutes before cake is done, add 1 cup chopped nuts, 1 package powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix and pour over hot cake. Serve hot or cold. Serves 12-15

tips/hints: I very rarely have buttermilk. I make this with soured milk using vinegar - 1 1/2 tsp vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment